Thursday, January 08, 2004

I was listening to the Police a bunch today. Right now my favorite album is Ghost in the Machine, although in college my favorite was Regatta de Blanc. I have a feeling that's because a friend of mine liked it a lot also. However, in retrospect I think Regatta is a better album, more balanced with everyone participating (everything on Ghost and Synchronicity was well after their collaborations/friendship as a band had disintegrated). It also has my favorite Steward Copeland song, "Does Everyone Stare?" The lyrics are a little silly, but I can definitely say I've felt that way about a few people in my lifetime. Steward Copeland was the cutest, don't you think?


Speaking of cute, where the hell was Liv Tyler in LOR: Return of the King? Of course, the lack of Liv was the least of my problems. Did someone lose the editing machine in a hobbit hole or something? How many people thought to themselves "JUST THROW THE GODDAMN RING INTO THE FIRE!!!!" to the point they gave themselves a migraine? I realized recently that most of the women I think are sexy or am attracted to look like Liv Tyler. I often wonder whether I had some some sort of relationship with someone of that look in a former life.


I can't remember many of my dreams lately. I know last night Walt and I were living together in a dorm off the main hall in PG and that my play was being shown. 500 people in the audience liked it and 500 people in the audience didn't. I asked them why (during some sort of "afterthoughts" discussion) but no one answered. There was a vague sense of satisfaction on my part with the whole affair, but it felt largely incomplete and empty. I really need to figure out what's wrong with my play. As to other writings, I've still trying to finish "Comfort Foods" (the story inspired by waking up next to my grandmother in bed), although I can say now that I'm about 75% finished. I would like to submit it to Glimmer Train, and they only accept submissions in January before taking a hiatus (I think they read again in April), so I don't have much time.


I also dreamt (within this dream) that I ran a lot (you know you're jogging too much in waking life when you're dreaming about it). I didn't make a good enough time through the city and some coach said I wasn't accepted onto the track and field team. I asked him what time I needed to beat and he didn't answer. I have to stop thinking of jogging in terms of results (distances and weights and strength training) and more about relaxing, the now, embracing the now as I jog. I hate that I have to make everything so goal-oriented, but that's me, 1000-fold.


Fun fact: did you know that name of the band Bettie Serveert means "Bettie to serve," after Dutch tennis player Bettie Stove, who lost the Wimbledon Ladies Final in 1977?