Monday, February 16, 2004

I think this writer is a little too hard on Sid and Marty Kroft. I mean, in retrospect, was any cartoon you adored as a child really the masterpiece theater you thought it was at the time? If anything, the writer should take Hanna Barbara to task for their horrid animation and improbable story lines. I mean, I could draw a better episode on the corner pages of the Nelson Mandela book (almost finished! woo-hoo!). Why did so many of the characters look cross-eyed? At any rate, the episode that moved me the most (or gave me nightmares; everything gave me nightmares) was when Wonder Woman was trapped in a hall of mirrors and all the mirror Wonder Women ran out after her. When she tried to escape, the other Wonders taunted her: "You can't escape, Wonder Woman. You can't run away from yourself!" Deep.


I would like to rejoin the Scholastic Book Club. When I was a child, the poster-catalog with the book choices was passed out every month, and every month I ordered something (probably bankrupting my family in the process). For the life of me, I cannot remember a single book I ordered. I'll have to think more about this. Judging by the web site, they're a little more commercial than they used to be. I don't remember being able to order walkie talkies.

From the Miscellaneous Writings of Mary Baker Eddy, on the nature of a toothache:
"What you thought was pain in the bone or nerve, could only have been a beliefe of pain in matter; for matter has no sensation. It was a state of mortal thought made manifest in the flesh. You call this body matter, when awake, or when asleep in a dream...When your belief in pain ceases, the pain stops; for matter has no intelligence of its own."

Wasn't Mary Baker Eddy a sickly invalid? "Scuse me, Mary, but the proof is in the pudding. Rather nice museum in Boston, though. We sought refuge there on the fourth of July last summer during an intense heat wave.