Faux You
It's going to take me a while to get my mind wrapped around this (and even longer to get around to reading the book), but check out the interview with Thomas De Zengotita in Salon regarding his book, Mediated: The Hidden Effects of Media on People, Places, and Things. He surmises the obvious, of course, that we have become what we buy and act how we think we should act according to the persona we wish to become, so much so that we are no more than method actors, not people:
"The basic idea with method acting, as it was developed by Stanislavski, James Dean, Marlon Brando, and since then practically everyone, is that you don't act: You react, you "live in the moment," as they say, even though you are onstage or in a film. The techniques are a lot like therapy because the goal is the same—to get to real feelings and spontaneous expression. But the irony is that, at the very same moment that you achieve that, you turn real feeling and expression into performance. In the book I use this as a way to introduce the more complicated ways in which mediated people—because they are so reflexive and so aware of their options—actually perform their lives."
From what I understand, and correct me if I'm wrong, as I'm just zipping this off at lunch, De Zengotita feels we should embrace this notion of method acting in our lives for the time being and that, even if we do the right things (for instance, donate time and money to tsunami reflief or shop at Whole Foods) because it's hip or fashionable and because it's a requirement of our chosen persona, at least good things happen as a result.
But what if you choose the gangsta persona or some other unhealthy role? Plus, it goes against every tenant of mediation and self-realization that's been taught for thousands of years, namely living in the moment without filters. He admits that we spend our whole lives cultivating these roles, only to have them ripped open by accidents, illness, the death of those around us. But why not focus on the meaning of these "accidents" and what they're trying to tell us about our phony lives? Why not welcome these "accidents" as routes of freedom from our prepackaged roles? Because we are not ready and we do not have a solution to mediation, as it is a fairly new phenomenon De Zengotita concludes. But we have! (see meditation) And this is where it gets murky to me. Your thoughts, before I get a headache?
3 Comments:
I don't think the ntion of mediation is at all new. If anything - it goes back to the very beginning of civilization and the earliest forms of communication. But I think you're giving yourself a headache over someting that can be described by a theory from quantum physics: The Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle. It basically states that the inevitable result of observation is that the mere act of observation changes both the observer and the observed.
You could also refer to the Mobius strip - a continous loop with only one side and one edge - it's impossible to determine where it starts and stops or changes into the opposite edge.
Karma
Thanks for clearing that up, I think. My biggest headache comes from trying to figure out what De Zengotita's ultimate point is—not having read the book makes it harder, but I feel like he's rehashing a lot of knowns, giving them a name (mediation), and then proposing no answer (which he freely admits). As to the H. principle, I think we're only truly cognizant of the method acting for short periods of time and the panic of having no "identity" during that period is to too painful to allow us to continue to explore who we really are. Guess I'm not buying his book, then. I might be as disappointed as when I read The Paradox of Choice.
Thanks, Anna! I would argue that it is often natural for us to categorize things if only to reduce the complexity and enormity of the world into bits we can understand, but I agree that stereotyping has gone a bit too far. If you can be stereotyped and placed in a box, that's less time a person feels he or she has to invest in you to get to know you. I propose we be as unpredictable as possible so that people will be forced to discover what makes us tick. Of course, in this day and age, they'll probably call us mad and shoot us full of lithium.
Post a Comment
<< Home