Friday, March 18, 2005

The Luck of the Polish

is absolutely shitty. This Polish lass has been having a crappy week, not earth-shatteringly bad, but bad enough in light of her general optimism on life. Maybe it's just that the missus (ha, she's not here so I can call her that) is away, but I'm been feeling very invisible, isolated, taken for granted lately. First, the missus and I got into a fight yesterday because every time she called me from the Keys, it had to do with her stupid term paper. Glad to know I am a resource for that and not much else. Although we've since ironed that out, this theme continued in other parts of my life. I called my Mom yesterday to see how she was. She's close to getting a full-time job again and will know by today (she lost her job last month when her FMLA time ran out after her emergency surgery). Anyway, she told me about her work, her day, and then, when I opened my mouth to tell her about my week, she told me she'd call me soon to let me know about the job and hung up.

Not wanting to spend St. Patrick's day alone (and I totally understand those friends in the county who don't want to drive in and find parking in Canton; heck, I didn't want to lose my space, either!), I ventured over to our neighborhood bar. Bars are social places, right? I mean, if you don't want to hang out and chat, you can certainly well drink at home alone. At least that's my understanding, right? On an unrelated note, it's strange being a woman and going to a bar alone. There's kind of a social stigma to it, like you're a desperate, lonely alcoholic or something (which is a perfectly acceptable character trait for a guy, judging by some of this bar's clientele). Anyway, the first couple I talked to, our neighbors up the street, left within 15 minutes of me getting there. Fine, but I was hurt that they didn't say goodbye, even though we sat right next to each other and I watched them get up and go. Ditto for the next couple of regulars who I tried to chat with while they watched figure skating blankly on television. Am I some sort of fungus? Now, admittedly, these people are exactly the most socially attuned people in the world, but I think proper hellos and goodbyes are in order, especially when someone takes the time to talk to you.

Then I began talking to some guy who lives on a side street near the bar. I actually met him and his girlfriend that last time I was here, although I happened to be a little worse for the wear at that time and seemed to annoy opinionated, self-important girlfriend with my drunken attempts at being neighborly. Anyway, he and I were having a decent, amiable chat—he even remembered my name and where I lived, which is more than I can say for most people I meet—when girlfriend arrives. He reintroduces me to her, I chat with them a few minutes more, then girlfriend does the completely annoying thing of talking to directly to him about people and subjects about which I know nothing.

Taking the hint, I turn back in my barstool and watch ice skating while she blathers on and on to him about anything related to her. I vow not to speak to them until spoken to, making the point that I am aware of her exclusive behavior (which is her right, I suppose, but why come to a f*ckin bar if you're going to be antisocial?), and they don't speak to me again. An hour passes and they finally leave. Boyfriend awkwardly punches my back on the way out, and I give him some sort of awkward wave. An ice skater falls flat on his face on the television, and then I leave also. I dream about him, the ice skater, later that night, and wake up in tears.

9 comments

9 Comments:

At 11:03 AM, Blogger Jeff said...

Aw. I woulda hung out with you if we lived in the same neighborhood. I completely know the feeling, though. If ever I go out alone, it usually ends up like your night at the bar. My solution: never go out. :)

Must be that great Polish luck, eh?

 
At 11:38 AM, Blogger Jen said...

Well thanks, Jeff! This week I definitely got the perspective of how hard it is to be a single person in this society. Couples in general seem to feel insulated and under no obligation to entertain others in these sorts of social situations. And, if someone who is single is friendly and talkative, I think a suspicion is almost always cast over them: if they're so great, why are they single? Must be desperate. Or alcoholic. Loser.

Next time (and even tonight, maybe) I'm staying at home and reading a book. Or we can blog to each other.

 
At 7:22 PM, Blogger jwer said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 7:28 PM, Blogger jwer said...

Couples suck. I am very excited to be either a 5th or 7th wheel tonight.

Meanwhile, I believe we have the same mother. Seems like that would've come up before...

 
At 8:11 PM, Blogger Maktaaq said...

I would hang out with you!

People should wear a white flag for these moments and everyone would have to treat them nicely and be extra attentive when people are lonely. As long as no one abuses this system, people might start being happier.

Jen: I know what you mean about couples - all my friends are married now & it sucks because I never have anyone to do things with. Luckily my friends who married years ago are starting to get desperate for time away from the spouse. I'm only a temporary diversion but I will accept any crumbs from the master's table!

Those people were nasty! Ugh!

 
At 10:59 PM, Blogger Malnurtured Snay said...

I stayed home and watched "The Incredibles". Sadly, there's no nice dive bar in walking distance, or I'd probably actually go out every now & then.

 
At 12:30 PM, Blogger LadyLitBlitzin said...

Well, Jen, I will say you were brave to go out alone at all. I never do it. I am just too intimidated.

And thank you for the nod to how hard it is to be single. It is. I think that I have a good group of friends who even the married ones tend to not be of the opinion that they are the only people in the universe, and if I'm a third wheel, they take me under their wings and don't make me feel like a freak, but then again, I also know that some people I know aren't particularly nice to strangers. Parties I've had, I've actually noticed what an insulated group we've got. A newer-school former SMC person's new boyfriend complained that the SMC people are like a cult and it's hard to break in or even have a conversation. Interesting.

The whole single vs. married thing with family has really been making me think lately though... although I still feel close to everyone I do start to wonder if there will come a point when everything's too different to relate. (Seeing how I may very well just end up being single forever, is my thought!)

Anyway, you and I have definitely got to do this dinner thing soon. Sorry it seems like sickness and stress have put it in the back burner... things should be calming down now that Lynn has decided NOT to move to India -- at least for another year. So the fire's out, but last week was one hell of a week, all in all. It kicked my ass.

 
At 7:52 PM, Blogger Jen said...

Jwer, I knew we were separated at birth because of our unbridled love for car mechanics, computer repair, and superior sound systems.

Maktaaq, I am sorry that you have to pick up the relationship dregs. We have the opposite problem here; we spend lots of time with our single friends, and then when they hook up, they drop us like hot potatoes.

Mal, if you build it, they will come.

Lady, I agree about the SMC cult thing. K and other non-SMC partners often feel uncomfortable when the gang gets together. Too many "had-to-there" stories and the like. SMC friend are kind of like your first love.

 
At 9:00 PM, Blogger jwer said...

Jen: don't think I don't know sarcasm when I hear it... also, I wasn't going to, but now I am TOTALLY going to blog about the part I just ordered from eBay...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home