Wednesday, March 16, 2005

Recent Spins

One of K's friends ripped a bunch of albums for her that we haven't got around to purchasing (but that the buzz abounds around). I can't say I'm overwhelmed upon first listens yet:

Damian Jurando - Waters Ave S: I've actually downloaded some songs of his before and liked them, but I often confuse him with Damien Rice (annoying thirtysomething singer in the John Mayer mold), and what's more, most of the songs on this album sound too similar. The title track, with its majestic yearnings, is pretty good. If only the rest of the album had its energy.

Autolux - Future Perfect: This LA band is a cross between the shoegazers (My Bloody Valentine, Ride) and the electronic rock (Sneaker Pimps) of the 90s. I love this period, so I hoped to love the album. Unfortunately, Autolux lean more toward the Sneaker Pimps, who just weren't all that.

Iron and Wine - Our Endless Numbered Days: I thought I'd like this southern folk product from Sam Beam because of my love for Sufjan Stevens, but this is just too low-key for me. Variety is a good thing, IMO.

Zutons - Who Killed the Zutons? Haven't listened to yet. Check back later.

Rilo Kiley - More Adventurous - Rilo Kiley have been hit or miss for me, and I always recommend The Execution of All Things as one of their stronger albums. Like Rainer Maria, the talent is there, but something's not clicking.


Some things I have been excited about: Dogs Die in Hot Cars (this generation's XTC); Polyphonic Spree (orchestra and chorus accompany; get out!); Hood (see Jeff's review); and 50-Foot Wave (Kristin Hersh's rockin' side project). Kevin, we are so going if they tour.

2 comments

2 Comments:

At 1:47 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I heard an Iron & Wine song I liked but not enough to buy the album. Heard some Polyphonic Spree and wasn't able to get around the whole "Godspell" sounding thing. I'm sure if I gave another chance I'd really dig it. I need to hear the new Kristin Hersh project since she's rocking again.

 
At 7:00 PM, Blogger jwer said...

The new Kristin Hersh project fuckin' rocks, yo. That is all.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home