You Just Haven't Earned It Yet, Baby
Wow, it's so hard to blog when the weather is so beautiful! I received my rejection from the Baltimore Playwrights Festival today. Of the 4 readers' decisions, I received 2 reads, 1 read with reservations, and 1 do not read. I think you need 3 reads or 2 read/2 read with reservations to get chosen for a read. Per the reviewers' notes, there seemed to be some concern about the many scene changes (seven? I didn't realize I had so many), but the comments about the play and characters were positive. I guess that's not a shabby showing for my first (and probably last) play. It was definitely harder writing a play than it was fiction. Oh well, back to the world of literary publishing!
4 Comments:
Aww - that's too bad, but a GREAT first effort!! I'll bet if you put it in a drawer for a few months and then look at it again, you'll be able to work on it and tighten it up a little more. Don't give up on it - and yes, plays are much harder to write.....
Did I know you were writing a play? Do I know what week it is?
The simultaneous answer is "No."
Jen, you should be so proud of yourself! That's so cool... I can't even imagine writing a play and for it to get so far on your first attempt is so fantastic!
Pat yourself on the back! :)
That does sound positive. Is there a way to revise by trimming down the scene changes, and yet keep the ideas intact? Probably hard. I've never tried play writing.
Post a Comment
<< Home