Capturing History
We just got back from a long weekend at Gettysburg. I'm kind of a history geek and K is an avid ghost hunter, so Gettysburg offered the best of both worlds for us. Of course, both elements receive varying amounts of overkill in the town, judging by the number of tours and gift shops, but the idea of Gettysburg is really fascinating to me from a fiction standpoint. Here was a tiny town (pop. 2000?) of modest ambition suddenly overtaken by the blood and sweat of 150,000 men for three short days and now, almost 150 years later, is still saturated in it, drowns itself in it. There is no future there, only history. It is a photograph, an imprint, and the people who live in the town either hold the picture up proudly or get crushed by it.
Anyway, I've got some kind of story swirling around in my head but haven't grasped the particulars yet aside from a couple of paragraphs jotted down in haste: someone trapped in a history that is not hers. Maybe even just titled "History." We'll see.
In addition to the story, the reams of history, and the crisp new copy of Gettysburg: A Testing of Courage I picked up at our B&B's bookshop, I spotted a lot of interesting birds (my new hobby) in the fields and surrounding woods: a red-winged blackbird, a black-capped chickadee, a ton of sparrows, and my prize jewel, the eastern bluebird, which looks like a cross between an indigo bunting and a robin.
As for K, she took well over 200 pictures and did turn up some ghostly orbs in a good deal of them. There wasn't much action at the "haunted" B&B we stayed in, Gettysbury College, or the battlefields at daylight, but K did find a lot of paranormal stuff in the basement of the old oprhanage (now the Civil War Soliders Museum), so she's stoked.
Even if you're not a fan of history, the paranormal, or birds, Gettysburg is a striking town: manicured, quiet, quaint, fragrant, picturesque. It is worth one weekend or a thousand.
3 Comments:
My aunt and uncle lived in Gettysburg for a long time, and my uncle was a tour guide for the battlefields on weekends. They lived in an historic house that had a Confederate cannonball stuck in the front wall, and a secret set of stairs built for the Underground Railroad. Once, we walked a farmer's nearby plowed up field adjacent to the battleground, because that's where my uncle said we would be most likely to find old Civil War bullets. Sure enough - my brother found one! He treasured that thing for years before my uncle confessed he had dropped it there for my brother to find. My uncle has a shoebox full of them. Neat place despite the sad and creepy history.
Linda, that is amazing! I have a thing for cannonballs and that's a great story! (My museum has two cannonballs, from 150 years ago when the British Royal Navy used the land I'm now on as target practice.)
Those stairs are pretty neat too.
Way to go Jen, thats awsome! I'm having a real hard time trying to find info about evp reading and then I found your site. Thank you sooo much! Even though Capturing History isn't exactly what I'm searching for, it definitely got my interest. It all makes sense now why I came across your site when I was looking for evp reading related info. Keep up the good work. I'm always interested in reading more about evp reading
Post a Comment
<< Home