The Sound of Sappy
While Jeff has reminded me that I have yet to get a snowball this season, I have been busy indulging in other gulity pleasures, like downloading old Duran Duran (not the hits but the long, indulgent pieces full of bad Simon LeBon poetry) and Sunny Day Real Estate songs (there, I've said it: there's emo in the house). I'm not sure what my worst musical indulgence is; I like so many weird things I can usually justify it being on my mp3 player. In fact, the worst things on my player now are Duran Duran's "Last Chance on the Stairway," a triumph of eighties synthesizers and John Hughes moviesque melodies, "The Reflex" (the horror!), and perhaps Killing Joke's "Eighties," if only because it sounds so dated. Once I had Justin Timberlake's "Body Rock," although I've never stooped to having a Britney Spears song. I always wonder what other people are listening to on their headphones on the gym and whether they would recoil in horror if it were somehow transmitted over the speaker system. Is there anything you're ashamed of loving but will gladly relate it on a public forum?
4 Comments:
My car currently has no CDs in it that are not Depeche Mode or the Descendents. All right, so there's the Franz Ferdinand CD, but you take my point.
Are they pre- or post-Violator? I used to love their album Black Celebration as a teenager. Now I listen to it and cringe. However, a lot of their stuff has stood the test of time. I still listen to my other staple of the period, The Smiths, with alarming regularity.
It's true—some Depeche Mode has aged terribly. Eek. I can't listen to that first album at all. Thankfully, there is plenty of 80s stuff that I don't think I'll ever get tired of hearing. The Smiths is a good example. Same with the Cure.
Most things I listen to I freely admit to liking. The only dark corner in my music library is the late 80's/early 90's metal. Sometimes I'm just in the mood for simplified prog-metal, big hair, and overly impassioned vocals (ie Queensryche), but would never subject someone else to it.
Post a Comment
<< Home