The Kid in the Candy Store
Tonight I had a chance to go to the library. I picked up five very exciting titles, two of which have been on my to-read list for months:
The Paraodox of Choice by Barry Schwartz
Many Lives, Many Masters by Brian Weiss
Twelfth Night (I have this goal to read all the Shakespeare plays I haven't gotten to yet)
Seven Days to A Perfect Night's Sleep
Idiot's Guide to German (to supplement my German class)
I feel so excited—I don't know what to read first. It's like when you come home from the grocery store and you just want to eat everything, screw the week's rationing. I'll probably reads bits and pieces of each, have to renew them, and maybe sacrifice one for next time. At any rate, I can say tonight that my life is full.
There were a bunch of prepubescent boys on bikes terrorizing all the library-goers at the library in Balitmore County that I went to (screw going to Enoch Pratt in the dark). I remember similar gangs of boys on bikes when I was young. Some woman stopped dead in her tracks as she stepped outside and practically walked with me until she got to her car, muttering over and over like a talisman, "I hate kids like this; I hate them!" to which I could only chuckle, my words of wisdom dried up somewhere underneath the swelling, nerdy excitement of having so many library books.
But I was thinking, as I drove away, how cool is it for a bunch of boys to be hanging out at the library? Were they looking to impress the geeky chicks who were actually working on their school projects, unlike them? Why didn't they hang out at the Taco Bell or something like all the other dead-end kids do? It made no sense. In their attempts to be cool, they wound up looking like the bigger nerds. NNNeeerrrddssss!
I'm going to go back to smelling the crisp white pages of my spoils now.
1 Comments:
Oooh, that's how I am about libraries! I've got a stack of books and the whole lot'll have to be renewed...
Post a Comment
<< Home