Wednesday, September 22, 2004

What the Germans Do

Hmm, this forensic book I'm editing will be the death of me. Not only is is graphic and depressing, but it throws out little gems like this:

In a study of 30 creative writers, 80% suffered from an affective disorder whereas 43% were afflicted with bipolar disorder.

I am in a minority of well-adjustment, I suppose, although I admit I write better when in some sort of inner turmoil, ie, the cathartic thing.

The only inner turmoil I have presently is my anxiety in attending my German conversion class, which begins tonight. Although I am pretty social and love to think of plans for the weekends (much to the dismay of the missus, who likes to curl away and recharge for the upcoming week), I am not out among the living on my own very much as a result of working from home. A small part of me wants to cancel and learn German on my own, although I've already proven to myself that I need the motivation of attending a class to get beyond the simple phrases I've learned on my own. I'm sure it will be okay; the missus gets nervous whenever she begins a new class, and she's been in graduate programs for the past four years. When in German class, I'll just relax and do what the Germans do, I guess, so long as it isn't mass annihilation or suffering from an affective disorder.

4 comments

4 Comments:

At 12:57 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

"German conversion class"? Jen, don't do it! There are better religions! ;) That's cool, have fun spachzenze deutsche or however they spell it.
-Kevin

 
At 11:47 PM, Blogger LadyLitBlitzin said...

I took a brief stint of German in college and dropped it after about 2 weeks, when I realized the only phrase I had down pat was, "I drink beer." Hmm.... then again, I guess you already knew that. ;) Good luck. I think it's a neat language!

What an interesting stat about creative writers. Hmm... I recently wrote about how I didn't think I had to be all effed up in the head in order to be a writer, but I definitely have my days when I sit around and self diagnose to no end. Oh what fun! And nights when I definitely feel like the girl in the commercial who decides it's a really good idea to paint the bedroom red for no apparent reason...

As for weekend plans, I am such a recharger. Sometimes I actually get really happy when I have no social engagements. I'm of the opinion that me being social has been a bit of an accident for the last 17 or so years. ;)

LLB

 
At 8:59 PM, Blogger Gil said...

I don't know what an affective disorder is, but I probably have one. At the very least, I do a very affected English accent when I call customer service numbers.

 
At 11:51 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

buy valium india valium 5mg long - buy valium egypt

 

Post a Comment

<< Home