Ms. World
Sunday night we wound up watching Ms. Congeniality on TBS for lack of a better option. In truth, it wasn't so bad, if only because Sandra Bullock was very adept at transforming herself from the ugly duckling to swan. It reminded of the time I watched "Runaway Bride" at jury duty and really liked Julia Roberts. In fact, I wound up really respecting her (or maybe that was because of Erin Brockivich). Anyway, it's strange how the cinema gods have tricked me over the years. They know I'm opinionated as hell and watch very few mainstream films, so they put me in a position of imprisonment during which I'm forced to watch things with Julia Roberts, Sandra Bullock, and Hugh Grant. And they're not so bad. But I'll still never rent them or see them in the theater. Is there any fluff movie you just knew you'd hate but wound up really liking?
Yesterday I was editing a cardiology paper from some Israeli authors. Even though it was written in English, they used an international edition of Microsoft Word and left their settings in Hebrew. For the longest time I couldn't figure out why the text was right justified and the cursor kept moving backwards instead of forwards. I thought it was the devil's work and was prepared to send it back to the office. Apparently in the international edition, you can set it for Chinese and the characters will set vertically instead of horizontally (in addition to, of course, the Chinese character keyboard). I can't believe I've been editing with Word for eight years and didn't know of these features. I feel so cultured now.
8 Comments:
Do you know that Word feature where the document corrupts and when you manage to open it again transforms your hard work into a blizzard of gibberish characters?
That's my favorite.
Ms Congeniality was definitely one of those movies where I thought it was awful and ended up lovin it. Made me fall in love with Sandra Bullock. :)
--tuesdayscoming
David, I like the feature that mysteriously locks up my document while I'm in the middle of editing something, causing me to restart the computer and losing ten minutes' worth of changes (some XP compatability problem).
Tuesday, I think this is the first Sandra Bullock movie I've seen. I never even saw Speed. What else has she been in? If it's popular, chances are I haven't seen it. I don't even know what's playing in theaters now (or what's on tv, for that matter). Do I live under a rock? Yes. But it's cozy.
My favorite word feature is when you start typing in between sentences, and it randomly decides to start overwriting all the text. The only way I've found around it is to save, close and the reopen the file.
My guilty pleasure movie is Starship Troopers. I will always, always watch it when I come across it on t.v. It's dumb, I know it's dumb, but I laugh at it anyway.
My guilty pleasure movies run the gamut from those fluffy romantic comedies to things like Starship Troopers. The other day I watched a movie that I am too embarrassed to mention, as I shed a tear! I don't know what the hell that was all about. It's probably a bad, bad sign -- I've never been one to cry over movies, especially not one as stupid as the one I watched.
Oh, LLB, my weakness is the Disney version of Beauty & the Beast. I have no idea why I always cry during that movie. I haven't seen it for ten years, but there was a time in the early nineties when everybody was renting it. You couldn't go to a get-together where it wasn't played.
My problem today was the Boss Man. I rather felt sorry for me, he turned off my computer as it was saving the document I had been working on for an hour without saving (in Microsoft Publisher). Saving a huge document like the one I was working on takes three minutes of the computer grunting constipatedly, so I only saved at the end as I was packing up for the day.
I had already worked almost two hours overtime on it. I stayed an extra 45 minutes to rewrite everything while it was fresh in my mind. I have just worked nine days straight; I'll need to go back in on Friday now. I don't know who to blame.
Chinese characters are tricky. I have worked with both Chinese and Japanese keyboards and where the alt-key is, instead you find the button that changes English to Chinese or Japanese. That's almost as irritating as the overwrite situation.
Oh, Maktaaq, you've been having the most terrible luck lately! You need another vacation pronto. LLB and Heb, I think I mentioned before that my guilty pleasure is John Hughes movies. Those, and whenever Grease 1 or Grease 2 are playing on cable, I stop whatever I'm doing and sit down and watch. Thank God none of the cable stations have had the idea of having a John Hughes marathon. I'd really be screwed then.
"Is there any fluff movie you just knew you'd hate but wound up really liking?"
50 First Dates
Susan
Post a Comment
<< Home