Goofus and Gallant Revisited
I was outside waiting for Maggie to finish her bank deposit when I noticed a truck going the wrong way on our one-way street. I thought briefly about signalling to it but decided that the driver would figure it out soon enough. Never mind, of course, that I've almost been hit by such trucks when I'm pulling out of my parking space and my vision is obstructed by an SUV or something. I kept thinking, after the truck thundered by, that if a little car suddenly turned left onto our street, that they would get flattened by this truck.
And I was to blame.
This incident posed quite a philosophical dilemma for me. On the one hand, nothing happened, and hopefully no karmic imbalance has been caused for which I will someday pay. What if, however, I did nothing and an accident did occur? What if I did something, say, flailing my arms to get the driver's attention, thereby causing an accident that could have easily been avoided had I not? What if I tried to get the driver's attention and he didn't see me and an accident did occur?
I decided that I must make decisions based on my own sense of propriety and rightness, even if I feel the action is useless in the larger scheme of things. For instance, even though my intervention today could have 1) caused an accident, 2) prevented an accident, or 3) affected no balance, I must always act in the mindset of 2, regardless of the futility.
Which is why I realized I must continue to fight the good fight against the moral-lacking, profit-driven choads that have infiltrated our government and state-run media. I had been considering dropping out of politics for awhile because I'm tired of being angry and helpless all the time. I figured that nothing I was doing was changing anything, except my blood pressure, so why bother? But that's not the point: even if I know that stepping on one roach while thousands swarm around my feet is useless in the large scheme of things or that telling America she's driving down a one-way street while she fiddles with the cell phone perhaps won't prevent her head-on with reality, maybe our collective futility counts for something. Like a big, karmic bitch slap across George W. Bush's face. Or at least another outbreak of rosacia.
5 Comments:
You are awesome.
Bush has rosacia?
Yeah, you know, whenever he takes a month off during a crisis to "clear brush" in Crawford, and they show some shot of him in work clothes looking like Ted Kennedy?
Meanwhile, I am witchoo... I think if life has any purpose at all, it's to decide what you think is right and then do that, to hell with whether or not you are successful. And if you can truly do that, you are a better person than I. But we knew that.
Ugh, it's kinda been affecting my sleep at night, especially the way the whole Jeff Gannon story has been whitewashed by the media. My sleep hasn't been this bad since the election.
Maktaaq, I don't think it's rosacia, but his face always looks like hell--red, ruddy, breaking out, and bruised. Must be the pretzels.
I'm such a frickin' optimist ... like with the Gannon affair, I keep thinking, oh NOW the tide has to turn and the media/the public will see the truth. And then it just blows right by. Gaaaa!
Post a Comment
<< Home